Friday Five for this week:
1. What makes you homesick? Being away from home, silly. Er. I'm not away from home much, but when I am I tend to worry a bit about my cats. When I was living somewhere other than Minnesota, I got homesick for lakes and rivers, bodies of water in general. As well as for woody tree-filled areas. Sioux Falls and Sioux City just weren't quite home because of that lack. I'd also get homesick when I was there for certain stores and for friends.
2. Where is "home" for you? Is it where you are living now, or somewhere else (ie: Mom & Dad's house, particular state/city)? Minnesota is home to me, when I'm away from it I miss it. When I was younger, I often considered my Grandma and Grandpa Olson's place in Mitchell, South Dakota to be more my true home because I just felt so loved and safe there. Sometimes I feel like my true home is actually found in science fiction fandom or at least at certain conventions and parties. Minicon, for example, is like home to me.
3. What makes it home for you? People? Things? Both people and things can make a place seem like home. Minicon can seem like home because I'm surrounded by friends and acquaintances (some of whom I've known for a lot of years now) and there's a certain kind of music I like and a certain kind of silliness and because it's very familiar to me. Minnesota is home to me because I was born and raised here and have an affinity and love for the place (as well as lots of friends and family live here). It has to do with familiarity, with things (or people) that make me happy and bring back fond memories. Places where I feel safe and liked, too.
4. Where is the furthest you've been from home, miles-wise? Honolulu, Hawaii (3964 miles away from Minneapolis, Minnesota). When I was in fifth grade, my Dad had some business conference in Hawaii and decided to make a family trip of it. He, my Mom, my brother, and I stayed in a condo in Honolulu for a week and saw lots of sites on Oahu. It was in the fall, near Thanksgiving, if I recall correctly, and I loved it there.
5. What are your plans for this weekend? I don't have any plans at all. Beyond doing the usual (watching TV, updating websites, sleeping). Might try to catch a matinee or something. Should work on cleaning up around the apartment.